Friday, April 25, 2008

Anchorman Shawn Patrick Dishes on Denver, Ditka and Drew

If you're up early on weekend mornings, it's likely you've watched Shawn Patrick in action. Patrick co-anchors NBC's weekend morning news along with new mom, Cheryl Preheim.

Ten years ago, Patrick, who is a Chicago native, was a budding broadcast journalism major from the University of Missouri, having graduated in the same class as yours truly. In fact, DCN and Patrick graced the campus at Columbia, Missouri at the same time and even lived in the same dorm!

Perhaps this is why Patrick agreed to such a pressing interview with a budding blogger 10 years later after they have last seen one another.

Whatever the case, DCN and Patrick are back in touch for this one-time only, exclusive hard-hitting interview.

Why did you come to Denver?
Patrick: I came to Denver for the job. It was nothing exciting. I just sent a tape, interviewed and moved.

Since you’ve been here, who has been the most famous Colorado celeb/personality you've met?
Patrick: In my two years here, I can't really remember bumping into any of the big names on a story yet, like Elway or someone like that. So don't laugh, but I'd have to say Kathy Sabine is probably the biggest local celeb I've met. I’ve witnessed how intense people became when she disappeared on maternity leave. When Kathy's not around, people wanted to know where she was and when she was coming back. Some people thought Kathy’s maternity leave was a conspiracy and that Channel 9 was hiding the fact that she was going to go to another station. Interestingly, Kathy’s bio on the Channel 9 website was one of the most read stories on 9news.com for months.

Besides Kathy, who is the most famous person you have ever met?
Patrick: Jay Leno

What are you favorite Denver area restaurants?
Patrick: I like the Cheesecake Factory for obvious reasons. Sam's No.2 on 15th is a great classic diner. I love that. And I like to go to Racine's for breakfast to get a good omelet.

Where are some of the popular hangouts for the Channel 9 folks?
Patrick: I'm not sure where most of the 9 people hang out, but a few of us frequent Gov's or Irish Rover. My list is limited, because I'm in bed usually by 9pm on Friday and Saturday nights for work.

Which Colorado celeb or personality would you most want to have lunch with? What would you ask them?
Patrick: I would like to meet Mr. Kroenke and talk with him about good 'ol Columbia, Missouri. I’d then ask him if I could get my hands on some Av’s season tickets, just because I’m a good guy. (DCN Note: Kroenke is a Columbia, Missouri native and University of Missouri graduate like Patrick and DCN. He owns majority share of the Avs, Nuggs, Rapids and Mammoth, and is part owner of the St. Louis Rams too. He’s also married to Wal-Mart heir and Columbia native, Anne Walton).

What Colorado news person do you most admire?
Patrick: It’s Adam Schrager hands down. Adam recently wrote a book about a Colorado Governor Ralph Carr for his true principal, defending Japanese immigrants during a difficult time in World War II. I think a lot of state and local politicians who spend time with Adam on his legislative beat would tell you that Adam is a man of great principal himself. No matter what the story or topic, Adam is always playing the devil's advocate. He sparks great discussions. He’s also a Chicago guy and a sports encyclopedia. Most important thing I'm learning about him: he's becoming a great father. He and his wife recently had a baby. He's truly an all around great human being.

Who is the biggest practical jokester at Channel 9?
Patrick: The biggest jokesters would have to be Nick Carter and Greg Moss. Carter is just a brilliant guy and never misses a beat with his wit and humor. The guy is just so much fun to work with because you never know where he'll take a conversation, even on live TV too. Makes for good laughs. But I also should say that two of the funniest guys in the building are photographers and work behind the camera: Scott Wright and Don Brookins. They just are never short of stories or jokes (some good, some corny) but they always, always make you laugh. In this line of work, laughter helps so much!

What's something surprising that people don't know about Bob Kendrick?
Patrick: I think a lot of people may know that Bob is just an athletic machine. I mean the guy not only skis a ton, but does marathons and workouts out each day before he comes to work. His workouts consist of at least two hours of running and biking. He's unbelievable. Behind all the lights and studio, he's just awesome to go to for help on a story or script. Bob is just so good with words and he comes up with a revision on such quick notice. That is a very hard skill to have.

Which member of the weekend morning anchor team spends the most time in hair and make up - you, Cheryl or Ashton?
Patrick: Cheryl spends the most quality time preparing, although she doesn't need much help. Me on the other hand, yikes, I just don't even want to think about HD sets at six in the morning where everyone can see the bags under my eyes.

Even though you’re a Chicago native, what do you like about living/working in Denver?
Patrick: I like Denver because there are so many creative people out here. There's no shortage of characters to make a great story, and it's not just Boulder, but this area seems to be filled with whacky events at times and plenty of whacky individuals.

What do you do in your free time?
Patrick: In my free time, it's all about running, lifting weights, and watching way too many sports on TV.

Speaking of sports, are you a Colorado sports fan now?
Patrick: Since I've moved here, I have jumped on the bandwagon for the Avs and Rockies. I love hockey and it's hard not to like the guys on that team for their intensity. I was lucky enough to go to one of the World Series games for the Rockies. Well, I guess, maybe not so lucky to witness that, but still, it was fun to watch a team grow with players that truly love the game, and I hope that doesn't change when the dollar signs tend to get bigger for star athletes.

Do you still follow Chicago sports teams?
Patrick: I still keep a close eye on the Chicago Bears and Cubs. However, watching the Cubs, I usually have my hand covering my eyes, and peeking in between to avoid being hurt every season.

Who's sports knowledge are you more impressed with - Dan Roan (WGN – Chicago) or Drew Soicher?
Patrick: Soicher is a real historian; he has a great knack for putting the day-to-day games and highlights in context, and he remembers events and places so well. Dan Roan's style is one that I respected a lot growing up because I watched him on WGN for years. He's nobody's mouthpiece and he will call you out for not hustling on a play or having some bad games. He's not afraid to criticize coaches or teams, and that's rare these days from sportscasters because so many are afraid of burning their bridges with athletes.

What's better: Ditka's Steakhouse or Elway's Steakhouse?
Patrick: Gotta go with Ditka's. I have to meet him one of these days and get him to sign my Ditka bobblehead. He could still run for mayor of that town and win.

What do you miss most about your hometown, Chicago?
Patrick: I was about to say I miss the sports the most from Chicago, but I'm realizing how much I love following Colorado teams. Yes I'm loyal to my Bears, Cubs and Bulls, but I was swept up in the Rockies World Series run and I'm hooked now on the Avs because I love hockey, especially playoff hockey.

What is your most memorable interview and why?
Patrick: My most memorable interview would have to be a collection of the people I met in New Orleans right after Hurricane Katrina. They just had such a tremendous perspective on life. It was depressing because some of them had nothing or very little left, but they had to keep reminding me that it was going to be okay because they had their families and they were still living. Life would go on. There were some really strong people.

Since you’re from Chicago, do you know anyone who wants to buy DCN’s condo in Elmhurst, IL?
Patrick: I will ask around next time I'm talking with friends back there. (DCN: Thanks Shawn, I need all the help I can get!)

Oh, and in case you were wondering if this handsome and soft-spoken journalist is on the market - well - he says he has a girlfriend. Sorry ladies.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

DCN - this is your best blog by far! I loved not only being entertained but learning a lot about my favorite local newscasters.

Props to Shawn Patrick too. His responses were great - candid, insightful, and enjoyable to read. Seems like a great guy - glad we were able to swipe him from Chi-town.

The worst part of the story: SP didn't have a buyer for our place in Elmhurst. Oh well. No one is perfect.

Anonymous said...

great interview!

Anonymous said...

Shawn seems like an awesome guy! I enjoyed reading your interview with him and will start tuning in more often to the 9news weekend telecast. Keep up the great work, DCN and Shawn!

Anonymous said...

Fantastic Interview - Oprah you've
got some great competition ahead!

touti said...

replica bags online pakistan replica bags wholesale in divisoria replica bags in london

Unknown said...

article a1r37k9c15 replica gucci replica bags china replica bags joy gucci fake z2t15b4i07 replica bags online uae replica bags koh samui Read Full Report j4o05p8z19 replica bags seoul

Unknown said...

x4p54e3y50 r5y66e9n73 j7z92c6p34 e6q69i1z04 u7q99b4y53 i9x13q6h93

shaly said...

p8y61i3h06 f1w33o8x73 i1u17h7q78 v2w13y3b28 x5w24v7j12 m8j18e8k32